The Cincinnati Observatory Center will promote the study and practice of astronomy among a broad audience and assist professional and amateur astronomers, schools and universities to further their educational efforts on behalf of astronomy. While fulfilling this mission, The Cincinnati Observatory Center will maintain the integrity and heritage of an historic nineteenth-century observatory including relevant artifacts illustrating the history of science and the applications of astronomy throughout the years.
In order to accomplish this mission, The Cincinnati Observatory Center will:
- Promote public programming and provide educational opportunities and resources for the public at large, school and university educators and students, and professional and amateur astronomers, including:
- Public astronomical viewing
- Classes and workshops
- Tours, displays, and presentations
- Showcase the unique facility as “The Birthplace of American Astronomy” by continually maintaining and improving the buildings, grounds, and collection of historic artifacts, while striving to adopt and integrate the latest technology in fulfillment of our mission.
The Cincinnati Observatory Center will expand and promote its reputation as Cincinnati's premier astronomy and science education institution by:
- Providing unique astronomy programs for all ages
- Inspiring future generations of astronomers and scientists
- Serving as a community-wide resource for astronomical knowledge and experience
- Supporting new research programs
- Incorporating the latest technology and educational methods within an historic facility
- Maximizing the unique opportunities afforded by a functional nineteenth-century observatory to communicate the continuing relevance of astronomy and science